Below is a simple step by step process you will need to follow in order to obtain your free day use hiking permit for the Cucamonga Wilderness Area. You can read more about the newly reinstated permit system on the San Gorgonio Wilderness Association site
. Please make sure you have read and understand the 2020 Fool’s Traverse Survival Guide
before filling out the online permit form
. You will need to know what your general itinerary is for the outing in order to correctly answer a few questions regarding your travel destination. Whether you are a participant
or a volunteer
, this guide was created to walk you through the permit process.
Step 1: Gather Information For Your Permit Submission.
Personal information: Name, Phone number, address, etc.
Permit request date: Saturday, October 24th, 2020
Emergency contact: Name and phone number
Number of ppl, in group: Please be Accurate. Over estimating your group size will limit trail use to others.
Vehicle information: Including make, model, and license number.
Step 2: Fill Out The Online Cucamonga Wilderness Day Use Permit Form
Once you have acquired all of the information in STEP 1, open the Cucamonga Wilderness Day Use Permit Form
on your internet browser. We recommend doing this from a desktop computer, but a mobile phone will suffice. This guide will walk you through the process of requesting a wilderness permit specifically for the Fool’s Traverse
route. You can also download/view a more detailed PDF version of this step by step guide
for reference if you need more information. Volunteers should stick to this web format guide.Disclaimer: Since its release on September 3rd, the online permit form has had several iterations and there is a possibility that the format may change in response to user feedback. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Page 1 - Basic Information
The entire first page is fairly self explanatory, use the information gathered in STEP 1 to fill in the form.
2. Organization group name: Please leave blank
3. BoyScouts of America/ Girl Scouts of America troop #: Please leave blank
4. Mailing address
7. Zip code
8. Daytime phone number
9. Emergency contact name
10. Emergency contact phone number
11. To visit (and to build campfires in accordance with regulations): Check the box below
12. Date of wilderness hike: October 24th, 2020
Page 2 - Travel Information
This is where the permit request form gets a little confusing. Both Questions 13 and 14 refer to your Location of Entry into the Cucamonga Wilderness Area. This is not necessarily where you are starting, but instead where you are entering the Cucamonga Wilderness from. Please refer to the map below.
13. Location of entry point: If you are going clockwise on the Fool's Traverse course, please select the option Baldy Notch (ski lift). If you are going counter-clockwise and taking either Falling Rock Canyon or the Icehouse Canyon trail, select Cucamonga Peak Trail 7W04. This is the closest option since neither entry points you are taking are on this form.
14. Location of exit point: If you are going clockwise on the Fool's Traverse course, please select the option Cucamonga Peak trail 7W04. This is the closest option since neither entry points you are taking are on this form. If you are going counter-clockwise and taking either Falling Rock Canyon or Falling Rock Canyon, select Baldy Notch (ski lift).
15. Primary method of travel: Hiking! If you are doing the Fool's Traverse by way of horseback, your horse will get your tacos and beer at the after party instead of you.
16. Number of people in your group: This is where you should coordinate a bit If you signed up for the 2020 Fool's Traverse with a few friends. Make sure that just one of you is submitting a permit for your entire group if you intend to stay together. If you are going solo or have no intention of remaining in a group, then select one (1) as your answer. Please be Accurate. Over estimating your group size will limit trail use to others.
17. Number of pack and saddle stock: Zero (0).
18. Number of dogs: If your dog completes the Fool's Traverse, it will be a first and I'm going to need a picture with them at the after-party.
Page 3 - Vehicle Information
Whether you getting a ride with a friend, parking your vehicle at the trail head, or shuttling, please include a relevant vehicle here.
19. First vehicle make
20. First vehicle model
21. First vehicle registration State
22. First vehicle license plate number
Questions 23-26: If your plan involves a second vehicle, add it here. Otherwise leave this blank.
Page 4 - Sequence of Travel
If you are starting at Manker Flat and going clockwise on the course, your responses for questions 27-29 will be the following:
27. First travel zone: Baldy Notch, Thunder Mtn, Telegraph Peak, Timber Mtn, icehouse Saddle.
28. Second travel zone: Icehouse Saddle, Cucamonga Peak, Joe Eliot TH.
29. Fifth travel zone: Icehouse Saddle, Icehouse TH.
If you are starting at Icehouse Canyon and going counterclockwise, your responses for questions 27-29 will be the following:
27. First travel zone: Icehouse Trailhead, Icehouse Saddle.
28. Second travel zone: Icehouse Saddle, Timber Mtn, Telegraph Peak, Thunder Mtn, Baldy Notch.
29. Fifth travel zone: Icehouse Saddle, Timber Mtn, Telegraph Peak, Thunder Mtn, Baldy Notch.
VOLUNTEERS: You will be starting and finishing at Icehouse Canyon, your responses for questions 27-29 will be the following:
27. First travel zone: Icehouse TH, Icehouse Saddle.
28. Second travel zone: Icehouse Saddle, Icehouse TH
29. Fifth travel zone: Icehouse Saddle, Icehouse TH
30. Remarks: Consider giving some constructive feedback on the new online permit application form or just let your forest service representative know how much you appreciate their hard work.
Page 5 - Know Before You Go
1. Carry your permit: Read the prompt informing you that you MUST have your permit in possession during your visit and check the box marked I have read and agree.
2. KNOW BEFORE YOU GO! Read the prompt informing you of the RULES and REGULATIONS in the wilderness area, then check the box marked I have read and agree.
3. Electronic Signature: Type your signature into the text field.
4. Date Signed: Select the current date at which you are submitting your permit request form.
That's it! You're done. A ranger will contact you regarding your permit approval by email or phone. Please be aware that we are extremely grateful for your patience with this new permit regulation. Since its release on September 3rd, the online permit form has had several iterations and there is a possibility that the format may change in response to user feedback. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us
. Don’t forget to forward your permit to email@example.com
to get extra points toward winning prizes.